How to become a member
To join SAIF, a company must have a trading history and extensive experience or qualifications in the funeral service. Prospective members must also undertake a premises inspection and comply with our Code of Practice.
Our strict membership criteria and on-going quality monitoring ensure members adhere to the highest of standards. Companies which fall below our standards may be disciplined according to our complaints procedure. Membership falls into three categories:
- Full membership for funeral directors
- Probationary membership for those with less than the requisite 12 months trading experience.
- Associate members for companies that provide products and services to the funeral profession.
Current subscription rates can be found here.
Special offer for July – December 2018
- Golden Charter will reimburse a full year’s subscription fee once the funeral company has sold a GC funeral plan.
- Following approval on your application, if you wish to join SAIFCare we will contibute the pro-rata rate of £75.00.
New Probationary Membership Grade
SAIF now has a new category ‘Probation Membership’, which is open for funeral directors who have less than the requisite 12 months trading or funeral directing experience. A company is able to hold the Probationary Membership grade for 12 months.
- No admin fee but a payment of £500 for the year
- If approved, the company is not able to use the SAIF logo for the first 12 months.
- Independent Funeral Directors’ (IFD) College: book and pay for both the Health & Safety for Funeral Professionals and the Foundation Funeral Practitioner Courses within the first year of membership and the college will waive their fees for one course (external accreditation and assessment fees still need to be paid). This offer applies to one person per company.
- Golden Charter will reimburse a full years’ subscription fee (irrespective of when the application has been approved), once the FD has sold a funeral plan (after the 12 months).
- The company will not be eligible to apply for SAIFCharter status whilst in probation.
- The applicant will be required to attend a minimum of 2 regional meetings
- The applicant will not automatically go straight into full membership and will need to apply to become a full member.
The route to membership – Funeral Director
Enquiries are welcome from any independent funeral director who has been trading as, or employed as, a funeral director for at least 12 months before the date of application.
Simply follow these five steps:
- Download the SAIF-Membership-Application-Form november 2017 and Declaration of Ownership – Full Member and the GDPR Consent Form SAIF full members. Alternatively, contact SAIF Business Centre
- As part of your application you will need to send us a copy of some documentation that you use with clients (details in the Application Form document). Due to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in May 2018, please ensure when sending us the documentation that any personal information relating to the next of kin (not the deceased) is blacked out and unreadable. Failure to do this could be a breach of the GDPR.
- Please contact SAIF Business Centre on 0345 230 6777 for a copy of our Code of Practice, which you will need to read, before completing your application form.
- Return the form to SAIF along with the required documentation, enclosing a cheque of £125 made payable to SAIF to cover administration fees.
- Details will be published on our website printed in our monthly magazine, SAIFInsight, as ‘membership pending’ – giving existing members the chance to raise any valid concerns
- The potential new member will then be contacted to arrange a convenient date and time for the required premises inspection
- If this is satisfactory the application will be presented to the SAIF Executive Committee for consideration and final approval
The route to membership – Associate Membership
- Download the Associate application Form and Declaration of Ownership – Associate. Alternatively, contact SAIF Business Centre.
- Return the form to SAIF with the required documentation, enclosing a cheque of £125 made payable to SAIF to cover administration fees. A minimum of two customer testimonials will also be required
- SAIF will run a background check on the company with Companies House
- Details will be printed in our monthly magazine, SAIFInsight, as ‘membership pending’ – giving existing members the chance to raise any valid concerns. The details will also be published here on our website.
- If no concerns are raised the application will be presented to the SAIF Executive Committee for consideration and final approval
If you have any questions on the membership process, please contact SAIF Business Centre.