The statistics of Christmas sproutsDecember 21, 2018 // No Comments
Christmas statistics, and in particular, about Brussels sprouts, were featured in a recent article with BBC Radio 2’s Steve Wright. Pete Benton, Director of Data Collection at The Office for National Statistic (ONS) was interviewed by Steve and gave this information:
- Supermarkets sell approximately 750 million individual Brussels sprouts at Christmas time, but if you estimate how many are eaten, it’s only about half of that.
- 25% of the whole year’s sprout sales are in the two weeks before Christmas.
- An area covering 3240 football pitches are used to grow Brussels sprouts in the UK – and if you lined all those sprouts up, they would stretch from London to Sydney.
- Popular Christmas presents
- Who cooks Christmas dinner
- Popular travel destinations at Christmas
- Seasonal baby names