How to arrange a funeralMarch 6, 2017 // No Comments
But choosing to enlist the services of an independent funeral director can help to make the process that little bit easier.
The funeral director will support and guide you through every step of the way – ensuring you are clear as to all costs and procedures involved.
They will take care of the deceased, discuss the funeral arrangements and options available, deal with all the logistics and paperwork and act as the ‘master of ceremonies’ on the day.
Among the areas they will discuss with you are:
- Type of ceremony – burial, cremation, non-religious, religious or humanist?
- Who to notify – friends and family, including how to publicise the date of the funeral
- Venue and service – in a place of worship before the cremation or burial?
- Funeral officiant – would you like a particular vicar or funeral celebrant (such as a parish priest?)
- Transport – how many following limousines will be required? What type of hearse?
- Internment – burial place or cremated remains?
- Flowers – family only? Or would you prefer donations?
- Music and poetry – which songs would you like? Do you want anyone to read a poem or say a few words? Should there be music at the cremation or graveside?
- Reception – where will the reception be held? What refreshments will be provided?
- Special requirements – should people wear a certain colour or the cortege take a particular route?
Most importantly – if you are in any doubt about anything, don’t be afraid to ask. The funeral director should be happy to answer any questions and guide you through any areas that you are unsure of.
SAIF has more than 850 members across 1,500 offices throughout the UK – widely respected for their commitment to a caring, traditional approach, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
All adhere to our strict Code of Practice and upon joining SAIF sign up to our Quality Assurance Programme which ensures the highest of standards.
Many have been working in their communities for generations and all are trusted professionals
who pride themselves on a highly personal and compassionate service.
To find your nearest SAIF member, click here.
The SAIF team